Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Doing what you can

Exxon Mobile again will have a record profitable year this year. People at work got into a debate where some people who bike to work argued that those who drive contribute to the problem.

Even though I drive, I completely agree. Us driving our cars not only help the oil companies, but also pollute the Earth. However, I have to drive to work. The neighborhood through which I drive home every night is not... very safe for a biker. The distance also makes it a bit difficult. That got me thinking that, we can't force everyone to live the "ultimate, zero carbon emmission, completely green" lifestyle. I can't expect everyone to go out and buy a hybrid car, just as much as these people shouldn't expect everyone to easily bike to work the way they do.

HOWEVER! I don't want to come off as saying we don't have to do anything. We ARE faced with a problem. And I am 100 percent sure that even if we don't have a lot of resources, even if we can't all go buy a hybrid, each one of us can still do SOMETHING.

Like replacing a lightbulb or two with a flourescent one, taking shorter showers, drive less, recycle more, these (and many more) are all things that I think a great majority of people CAN and definitely AFFORD to do.

No comments: